Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lessons learned thus far [Amy]

We are truly grateful to be here. We miss all of you, but are settling in nicely. I think one of the greatest things about visiting or moving out of your element, is that you are forced to see things from a different perspective. If something, or someone, or a certain type of person say scares you, or makes you uncomfortable, if you are suddenly plopped down in the middle of that environment all of the time, you learn to adjust. I don't feel particularly scared of anything specifically, but lack of control is uncomfortable. I am learning to be more comfortable with it. South Africa is really in the process of reinventing itself. There are still some big growing pains and you can see it in how people respond to one another. Even our church congregation is working through changes. Black and white South Africans here are learning to live together and not just get along, but to really love each other, it's exciting to watch. I attended a baptism today of a wonderfully humble man. The church is changing his life for good and it is a privilage to watch. I love the diversity here and all that it teaches both me and my family.
I have also noticed and learned some great things here already. These next two items are for my green friends. I have this wonderful daughter, Hailey, who is very environmentally aware, and I have learned to be more so because of her. Anyway, here in South Africa EVERYONE takes reusable bags to the grocery store. Why you ask? BECAUSE THEY CHARGE YOU EXTRA MONEY TO USE THEIR PLASTIC BAGS! What a great idea! Also, if American car makers say they can't make smaller cars, ballderdash as my Grandpa used to say. I have not seen a car larger than a mini van here unless it is public transport, and the cars that are mini van or larger are all diesels. There are all of these amazingly small cars on the roads by Chevy, Ford, etc., that I have never seen before. They are awesome. Everyone drives them which makes everyone safe. If you build them maybe they will come!
Enough of that. Enjoy a few more pics of our trip to the Pretoria Zoo! Amazing! Take care,
Amy

4 comments:

Mom said...

That was totally my idea!! I always wondered why the "green" bags cost a $1 and the plastic bags were free. I mean really, who is going to buy $10-20 of "green" bags to hold all of their groceries when they can use as many plastic bags as they want for free? If the U.S. would make the plastic bags cost and the "green" bags free, they would be surprised at how many people would begin to care about the environment. Anyway, I love the pictures and I do check your blog everyday, even if I don't write something everyday. Mark Barnes says that he still isn't rich yet, so he can't buy you guys a plane ticket!

Love you guys,
Courtney

goat said...

Aldi (a German company) charges you for your bags.

Everywhere else just charges you more for your groceries.

But the "tax" only works if it's so expensive as to really punish free-riders. Something like $10 a bag. Then everyone would bring their own...

Laura Fernelius said...

Wow, sounds like lots of fun. We have a kid in my FHE group who lived in South Africa for a few years with his family. I think of all the opportunities that you guys will have to be able to share not only a cultural experience, but to share how the church is the same where ever you go. Everyone says it, but not many have actually seen it from another country. It sounds like your readings for school will be fun! I am reading "Punished by Rewards" by Alfie Kohn for my english class. It is pretty interesting. Best of luck in schooling and enjoy your fun experiences. Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyman family,
We would like to come to see you guys. I sent an email to Michael's address, but I am not sure if you received it. Email us at andersonfamily@shipnazarene.com