Thursday, February 19, 2009

News from the University of Pretoria

I was recently given a roster for one of the classes I am helping to teach during this “module” (South African for “class”).

I was fascinated by the names and my tongue is tired after re-reading them to my kids. It’s one of those clear signs that I really am living and teaching in Africa. So, I’ve included the names here- just the first names so that I am not breaching any privacy- so that all of you can get a taste of South African culture.

Mieke Marsulizé Caitlin Michelle Zanele Goodness Chanelle Anschel Kedibone Francinah Julia Kagiso Antoinette Patricia Sophi Phumla Yandisa Tshepang Fundzile Nhlanhla Philisiwe Zibuyile Qebo Nthule Kefentse Donna Megan Deborah Zama Sibongile

Also, (and this is for the social work profs out there) the following are topics which I have been consulted on, in spite of the fact that I am certainly not an expert on any of them:

1. How to incorporate program objectives into course outlines- (they are just starting to accredit programs here).
2. How to write a field manual- (they don’t have one yet).
3. How to manage 63 field students with two faculty assigned to field.
4. How to incorporate family social work into a play therapy masters program.

These are things that I have sought additional information on that they are actual experts on here:

1. Writing rubrics to grade papers, class participation, class presentations, and any other assignment. They use rubrics consistently in all of their courses.
2. Sophisticated gatekeeping procedures to ensure that students that enter the major at the end of their first year are prepared for and interested in a career in social work. (Includes psychometric testing, passing first year classes, and a ½ hour interview with 3 faculty with all 120 first year students- whew!)
3. Electing class representatives for each class and holding a meeting with all of the student reps once per semester and the department chair as a means of getting feedback on courses from the students’ perspective. The class representative is also the spokesperson for the class who takes concerns to the chair in the event that there are concerns.

I am sure there is more that we have exchanged and I will add it later.

1 comment:

Dorlisa said...

Michael,

I was so excited to read your post. As my mentor, I am looking forward to you sharing information on rubrics with me when you return, so I can strengthen the ones I already use. And I am sure we will be very interested in learning of the gatekeeping procedures they have in place. There has been lots of discussion on BPD listserv recently on this specific topic. So that information will be quite valuable!

Best wishes with learning all the names!